Wednesday, April 4, 2007

A way towards ahimsa?

This post is a continuation of my post called, “The loss of a way to practice ahimsa.” In that post I raised numerous questions about the use of nonviolence on larger structures of violence, vis-à-vis global warming, etc. I think that it is hard to practice self suffering on these larger structures because they are so ingrained in our culture. If I had to design a campaign on a larger structure such as global warming, I would begin with education. I think that it is important to work on making the invisible visible. To that end, I believe that the first step is education by showing movies like An Inconvenient Truth. We must destroy the myth that Global Warming doesn’t exist. We must expose the truth about global warming and appeal to people’s desire to care about the world in which we live. After education we must make it easy to work for a better environment, similarly to the way the Selma bus boycott made it easier for people to not use the bus. But this time we should try to make people use busses. Make public transportation cheaper. But it must not only be cheaper we need to try to make it culturally unacceptable to: take short trips in our cars; to not recycle; to drive suvs; etc. We need to make it culturally unacceptable to engage in un-green actions. It is hard but I believe it could be done one step at a time. It needs to start small. Raising gas prices with green taxes, i.e. taxes for the development of green technologies. By slowly change attitudes actions will hopefully change as well.

No comments: